Saturday, January 12, 2008

PoP! Goes My Heart

This doesn’t have much to do with anything, except I saw this clip a few days ago and have since felt the uncontrollable urge to share it with the world. Anyway, the movie Music & Lyrics is a movie about an aging 80s pop star (Hugh Grant) who collaborates with a young, hot, totally awesomely-dressed writer (Drew Barrymore) to write a song for a Shakira-esque superstar. It’s pretty cute but the film’s major strength lies in its catchy songs and Hugh Grant’s one-liners.

And THIS video, the first two and a half minutes of the film. So genius:


I think my favorite part is the blinking heart under the sheet at the hospital. Or when Jason from Friday Night Lights does a slowed-down version of the Molly Ringwald dance. Or maaaybe the picture-in-picture. Oh hell, I can’t decide. My favorite part is the entire 150 seconds of faux-80s goodness. I’m still puzzling over Hugh Grant’s cravat- I refuse to believe that dressing like Austin Powers would have gone over well in 1984.

I’m not really urging you to go out and rent Music & Lyrics- though it is a good bet if you really loved The Wedding Singer and similar chick flicks- unless you feel like watching that clip over and over on a big TV. Which I totally do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a loyal reader, I demand at least 50% more Lauren pictures, on a per post basis.

Anonymous said...

Is 50% more enough? I would think at least 100% more Lauren pictures, at minimum, are needed to make this the award winning blog it deserves to be.

Anonymous said...

All of you are thinking way too small. What the community really wants is all Lauren pictures, all the time. There's too much text on this blog right now. It's like the author wants to be a journalist, or something...

Unknown said...

I loved this movie! I watched it with my boyfriend and his sister. My boyfriend hated it, but his sister and I were singing along by the end! And I'm kind of fascinated by ...Cora, is it?

Lauren said...

Lewises 1-3: Any relevant pictures can be found on facebook... you douchebag.

Heather: I think you're right about Cora. She's definitely one of the most unusual characters in chick flick history. I think she does a really good job of exaggerating that "be innocent but be sexy" thing that people keep telling us to magically pull off.